In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Boston Public Library

Maine Turnpike at Biddeford, ca. 1950

Contributed by Boston Public Library
MMN Item 66143 Item Details
Maine Turnpike at Biddeford, ca. 1950
MMN Item 66143 Zoom

Description

A Tichnor Brothers publicity postcard depicting the Maine Turnpike in Biddeford in the late 1940s. The Maine Turnpike Authority was established in 1941 by the Maine State Legislature in order to build a highway connecting Kittery and Fort Kent. The Highway was opened in late 1947.

The caption reads, "Maine Turnpike at Biddeford, Maine."

The Tichnor Brothers, Inc. began printing linen postcards in the early 1930s, many of which were pitched at tourists and travelers. They published this type of postcard from about 1930-1945.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.